Sunday, August 30, 2009

Rafting the Nile

So, Uganda is home to the source of the Nile River (Lake Victoria), and there are some great rapids to be rafted!

I am staying in Kampala, Uganda, and the source of the Nile is in Jinga, Uganda which is about 1 hour away from Kampala (keeping in mind that my distance/time estimates are really crappy).

So, my friend Jeff and I went on Saturday and rafted the 30 kms!

It was freaking awesome. There were about 5 class 5 rapids and a lot of classes 2-4 (for anyone who does not know, there are 6 classes of rapids, with 5 being the biggest and 6 being so big that they are un-raft-able). The raft flipped like 5 times i think, but we did successfully ride 3 of the class 5's. We ashamedly flipped on a 2.5 . . . yeah, I don't know how that happened.

And unfortunately I did no put on enough sunscreen . . . I put on sunscreen like 3 different times throughout the day (and 30 spf at that), but I still got burned like i have never been burned before! I realized later that evening that I got so burned because my malaria pills make me sensitive to the sun: damn you malaria pills!

and don't worry, i don't have leprosy, I'm just burned like you wouldn't believe! And I will spare you a picture of my violently red thighs :)

I don't have any pictures of the rapids, but if you check out you tube for some cool footage of the rapids that I did. Just you tube "Nile River Explorers" or here are a couple that I thought were pretty good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_RlTSwTy-8 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omCel4B-ESc&feature=related

Then, you can see and get a feel for the rapids that we did.

And here are some pictures of the Nile:



Beautiful place hey!

2 comments:

  1. That's sooo great! and me and the bradster where wondering if you ran into any hippos or anything whilst floating:)!

    ReplyDelete