Saturday, July 11, 2009

Blogging Again

This officially marks my second attempt to blog. I lasted about 2 weeks last time I tried this, but let’s hope that I can keep this one going for the duration of my stay in Uganda.

I arrived in Uganda about 3 weeks ago. I am here working with the African Leadership Institute (AFLI) which is an NGO that works with the post-conflict region of Karamoja and produces the Parliamentary Scorecard. I am the project manager for the latter.

The parliamentary scorecard attempts to keep Uganda’s MPs (Members of Parliament) accountable to its people. We score each member of parliament in three areas Plenary, Committee, and Constituency activities. Plenary is the full sittings of parliament: we measure how often they attend and participate. We also measure how influential each MP is. For Committee, was measure attendance and participation. And for constituency, we have each MP report how they used their Constituency Development Funds and what they are doing in their constituencies; we also measure how accessible each MP is with a really cool experimental game. All scores for each MP are relative to others, so we can then rank MPs from best to worst.

No comments:

Post a Comment